It’s not surprising that not everyone follows the instructions and enter dates in cells in standard Excel format. Also, it often happens when you export data from a database to xlsx file or import data from web to Excel that the format of dates differs from the standard one.
Some people struggle writing complicated formulas, but fortunately, Excel is equipped with Text to Columns tool. Text to Columns tool can convert any nonstandard date format to the standard one.
Let’s suppose that your task is to convert
Here are the steps to follow
- Select cells.
- Go to Data tab and click Text to columns icon.
- In the first step of Convert Text to Columns Wizard choose Fixed width data type and click
- Don’t insert any break lines in the second step of the wizard. Just click the Next button to move on.
- In the third step of Convert Text to Columns Wizard select in the Column data format list Date.
- Drop down the list and select the date format that you need to convert. In this example, it is the last one YDM.
- Click Finish Button
- The dates have been converted to your Excel standard format.